Google has firmly denied the viral claims of a huge data breach within its Gmail service. As per reports, more than 183 million passwords were stolen. But taking to its official account on X (formerly Twitter), News from Google, the company said Tuesday, "Reports of a 'Gmail security breach impacting millions of users' are false. Gmail's defences are strong, and users remain protected."
The controversy started after Australian cybersecurity expert Troy Hunt, who runs the breach-notification site Have I Been Pwned, claimed that a massive 3.5-terabyte database containing around 183 million email credentials had surfaced online.
Also Read | Watch: US Air Force Flies Into Eye Of Hurricane Melissa, Strongest Storm Of 2025
Reports of a “Gmail security breach impacting millions of users” are false. Gmail's defenses are strong, and users remain protected.
— News from Google (@NewsFromGoogle) October 27, 2025
Hunt alleged that the compromised information was from various past breaches, which may include Gmail accounts among other providers, including Outlook, Yahoo and hundreds of other web services.
In his blog, Hunt wrote that the data consists of both "stealer logs and credential stuffing lists". "Someone logging into Gmail ends up with their email address and password captured against gmail.com." The expert claimed that the leak, first detected in April, was made public last week.
While speaking to the Post, a Google spokesperson earlier said, "Reports of a Gmail security...
Read Full Story:
https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiuAFBVV95cUxNRk5tTXl0OEV1S2hnU1lyNjRv...