Rudy Giuliani: Jury begins deliberating in defamation case - BBC.com
Jurors have begun deliberating in a defamation case against Rudy Giuliani, who spread false vote-tampering claims about two Georgia election workers.
Ruby Freeman and Wandrea "Shaye" Moss are seeking damages of up to $43m (34m) from the former lawyer to ex-President Donald Trump.
A judge has already found that Mr Giuliani, 79, defamed the mother and daughter.
Eight jurors are now deciding exactly how much he will have to pay.
In closing arguments on Thursday, Joseph Sibley, Mr Giuliani's lawyer, urged the jury to be measured as they consider the penalty.
Lawyers for Ms Freeman and Ms Moss are "asking you to reward a catastrophic amount of damages", he argued.
Getty Images
Shaye Moss and Ruby Freeman testified to Congress in June 2022 about Mr Giuliani's claims
He said that, although the former mayor of New York did spread lies after the 2020 presidential election, he was not as responsible - or as malicious - as lawyers for the two have argued.
"I'm not asking for a hall pass today," Mr Sibley told the jury. "I'm asking you to remember that this is a man who did great things."
Michael Gottlieb, the lawyer for Ms Freeman and Ms Moss, painted a different picture, calling Mr Giuliani "patient zero" of the misinformation.
He said that during three days of evidence and testimony the jury "experienced a sliver of the unspeakable horror that [Ms Freeman and Ms Moss] suffered".
Mr Giuliani had been expected to testify in his own defence on Thursday, but those plans were abruptly...
Read Full Story: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiMWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jb20vbmV3cy93...