Russia is continuing to spread false claims of “significant gains” at the front as part of a cognitive warfare campaign aimed at eroding Western support for Ukraine, the Institute for the Study of War said, disputing remarks by Russian General Sergey Rudskoy in its assessment on Feb. 20.
In particular, the Russian military commander claimed that since the start of 2026, Russian forces have allegedly seized 900 square kilometers of territory and 42 settlements in Ukraine. In 2025, he said, occupying forces captured more than 6,700 square kilometers and more than 300 settlements.
Rudskoy falsely claimed control of 26 settlements in Sumy Oblast and 15 in Kharkiv Oblast, including the alleged occupation of Vovchansk and Kupiansk. He also spread false claims about Russian control over half of the city of Kostiantynivka in Donetsk Oblast. According to his statement, Russian forces allegedly took control of 86 towns and villages in Donetsk Oblast last year, including Pokrovsk, Toretsk and Myrnohrad.
He also falsely claimed the occupation of Huliaipole and the seizure of 160 square kilometers and 11 settlements in eastern Zaporizhzhya Oblast and southern Dnipropetrovsk Oblast since the start of 2026, while acknowledging recent Ukrainian counterattacks in the area.
The Institute for the Study of War has gathered evidence showing that Russia has captured only 19 settlements and 572 square kilometers of territory since the beginning of 2026 — a discrepancy of 23 settlements and 328...
Read Full Story:
https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMirAFBVV95cUxOQVVFLXJPOUJ0VGdJaVBDQjlm...