×
Monday, May 18, 2026

State Department hits back at Russia 'propaganda,' says troops moving 'into fighting positions' - Fox News

Fox News Flash top headlines for February 16

00:00

00:0002:31GO LIVE

Facebook

Twitter

Email

Embed

SpeedNormal

Autoplay

The State Department on Wednesday hit back on Russian claims that it is reducing its troop size along the Ukrainian border and said the U.S. is concerned by the "great deal of propaganda and disinformation."

Earlier this week Russian officials claimed that it would be reducing its force size along Ukraine’s border after amassing roughly 150,000 troops and deploying 30,000 soldiers into neighboring Belarus.

But despite claims that Russian President Vladimir Putin echoed Tuesday, the U.S. and NATO have said they have seen no such efforts.

"We have seen the opposite," State Department press secretary Ned Price told reporters Wednesday. "In recent days more Russian forces — not fewer — are at the border, and they are moving … into fighting positions."

"This is cause for profound concern," he said.

Russia on Tuesday released images depicting trailers being loaded up with tanks and military equipment, but Price said these images are just one element in the Kremlin’s disinformation campaign.

"Over the past several weeks, we’ve also seen Russian officials and Russian media plant numerous stories in the press — any one of which could be elevated to serve as a pretext for an invasion," Price said.

The press secretary laid out a litany of falsified stories that have made their way into the news cycle, as well as stories that security officials are worried Russia...



Read Full Story: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/state-department-hits-back-russia-propaganda...