×
Saturday, November 29, 2025

Witness in Prince Harry case against Mail publisher says his confession was false - The Guardian

Gavin Burrows says signature on alleged statement is ‘not mine’ and denies carrying out illegal activity on behalf of Associated Newspapers

A private investigator central to the legal action by the Duke of Sussex and others against the publisher of the Daily Mail has claimed that his signature on an earlier witness statement was a “forgery”, the high court has heard.

Gavin Burrows, linked to the most serious allegations of unlawful information gathering made by seven prominent individuals including Elton John and Doreen Lawrence, retracted his alleged confession, saying it was “completely false”.

Burrows had allegedly claimed in a 2021 witness statement that he and his team obtained information by hacking voicemails, tapping landline phones and bugging cars. He also allegedly said he had worked on behalf of the Mail on Sunday.

Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) is accused by the group of carrying out or commissioning unlawful activities such as hiring private investigators to place listening devices inside cars, “blagging” private records and accessing private phone conversations. ANL denies the allegations and is defending the legal action.

Five of the claimants have told the high court they embarked on the legal action against ANL based on evidence apparently obtained by Burrows.

Burrows previously retracted his alleged statement in 2023. In a fresh 30-page witness statement made on 25 September 2025, and released by the high court on Tuesday, he restated his denial,...



Read Full Story: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiyAFBVV95cUxOTmkxN2ljRDRYZl9vQ1ByeVZJ...