×
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Treasury department launches fraud whistleblower program, tipsters could cash in big - thenationaldesk.com

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 05: U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent looks on before an event celebrating 2025 MLS Cup Champions Inter Miami CF in the East Room of the White House on March 05, 2026 in Washington, DC. Inter Miami defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps 3-1 to win their first MLS Cup championship. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (TNND) — Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has officially launched a new anti-fraud whistleblower program.

The goal, recover hundreds of billions of dollars in stolen taxpayer funds and reward the tipsters who help the federal government find the money.

It's almost like a suitcase in an airport, if you see something say something," Bessent told Fox News Monday.

Managed by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, the program incentivizes whistleblowers with potentially huge paydays, upwards of 30% of what's collected, to help the federal government recover stolen taxpayer money. It targets fraud in Medicaid & Medicare, government relief programs, and Covid-era economic relief. Beyond standard fraud, it covers money laundering, sanctions violations and the bank secrecy act.

This is money that is not going where it's supposed to go but more importantly it's being stolen from the American taxpayer," said Bessent.

The administration is directing would-be tipsters to an online submission form to make a tip. Bessent said Monday, so far, the administration has received 700 leads.

This could be hundreds of billions of dollars in...


Read Full Story: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMi7wFBVV95cUxOMkVHeGRWeTF5OEFyRlNSbVhZ...