×
Monday, August 17, 2026

Zambia opposition rejects militia claims as Hichilema leads vote count - IOL

Image: Photo by GIANLUIGI GUERCIA / AFP

Zambia's main opposition party said Monday it rejected government claims that its members -- including several under arrest -- were involved in militia or insurgent activity around last week's election.

A cabinet statement late Sunday said police had arrested 11 people, including opposition figures, in a raid on August 13, the day of the vote, that targeted a suspected militia posing "a serious threat to State security".

Thursday's elections in the copper-rich southern African nation were largely peaceful but the run-up was marred by opposition claims of intimidation, arrests, abductions and violence.

The main opposition NRPUP party led by former government minister Brian Mundubile -- the main challenger to President Hakainde Hichilema's bid for a second term -- said the raid had been at his home.

Shots were fired and a parliamentarian struck, it said Monday.

The party "rejects with absolute disdain the spurious and entirely false claims made by the Zambian Government that the NRPUP, its leadership or its members have been involved in insurgency, militia activity or any related conduct whatsoever," it said.

Its statement said the security operation was on August 14, the day after the election.

The cabinet said the operation was on August 13 "to apprehend suspected militia and persons of interest".

Some of those arrested were connected to "military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, thus posing a...



Read Full Story: https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMisgFBVV95cUxQX3pEQXZnbnFNQUtPMHY3R0cz...